TOLERANCE ANALYSIS RESOURCES
An introduction to the what, why, and how of tolerance analysis for manufactured products based on mechanisms. Topics covered include:
- What is tolerance analysis and why is it needed?
- What products need tolerance analysis?
- How to do tolerance analysis?
- What is functional tolerance analysis?
- What are the benefits?
Learn about 1D, 2D, and 3D stack-up modeling and analysis options, their differences, when to use them, and their tradeoffs for tolerance analysis. Here’s the contents:
- What is 1D stack-up tolerance analysis?
- What is 2D stack-up tolerance analysis?
- What is 3D stack-up tolerance analysis?
Which method(s) to use depends on factors such as how critical a stackup is, how many components, or the complexity of geometries. This article overviews:
- Worst-case stack-up calculations
- Statistical stack-up calculations
- RSS stack-up calculations
- Monte Carlo simulation stack-up calculations
- Additional stack-up calculation methods
Overviews GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) in the manufacturing of mechanical products. Topics:
- Brief history of tolerancing
- How are tolerances measured?
- How are tolerances specified?
- What is GD&T?
- GD&T Examples
What are these statistical parameters and how are they applied to tolerance analysis? Topics:
- What is Cp?
- What is Cpk?
- What is PPM?
- Cp, Cpk, and PPM in tolerance analysis
Overviews datums and their importance to tolerance analysis. Topics:
- Types of datums
- Datum symbols and representation
- Datum systems and degrees of freedom
- Choosing datums wisely for tolerance analysis